Chicken-and-Ham Jambalaya With Shrimp
- 3/4 pound skinned and boned chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3/4 pound skinned and boned chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound cooked ham, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium-size yellow onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 celery ribs, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 4 whole garlic cloves
- 1 (16-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 pounds medium-size fresh shrimp
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions tops
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups uncooked long-grain rice, rinsed and drained
- Sprinkle chicken evenly with salt and ground peppers.
- Cook chicken in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until brown on all sides. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon to a large bowl.
- Add ham to Dutch oven, and cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add ham to chicken; set aside.
- Add onions and next 3 ingredients to Dutch oven, and cook 5 minutes, stirring to loosen any browned bits.
- Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid. Stir reserved liquid and chicken broth into Dutch oven. Add chicken and ham; cover and cook over low heat 45 minutes.
- Peel shrimp; devein, if desired.
- Mash cooked garlic against side of Dutch oven, and blend into the mixture. Add shrimp, green onions, and remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium low; simmer, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes