Chicken-and-Ham Jambalaya With Shrimp
- 3/4 pound skinned and boned chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3/4 pound skinned and boned chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound cooked ham, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium-size yellow onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 celery ribs, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 4 whole garlic cloves
- 1 (16-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 pounds medium-size fresh shrimp
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions tops
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups uncooked long-grain rice, rinsed and drained
- Sprinkle chicken evenly with salt and ground peppers.
- Cook chicken in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until brown on all sides. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon to a large bowl.
- Add ham to Dutch oven, and cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add ham to chicken; set aside.
- Add onions and next 3 ingredients to Dutch oven, and cook 5 minutes, stirring to loosen any browned bits.
- Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid. Stir reserved liquid and chicken broth into Dutch oven. Add chicken and ham; cover and cook over low heat 45 minutes.
- Peel shrimp; devein, if desired.
- Mash cooked garlic against side of Dutch oven, and blend into the mixture. Add shrimp, green onions, and remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium low; simmer, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note