I will add a can of cream of chicken or celery soup and a little more broth. It was good but a little too dry. I may mix it all up next time and top with cheese.
Reminiscient of traditional cornbread dressing, this casserole variation includes chicken. Pick up a deli-roasted bird if you don't have 3 1/2 cups of chopped chicken on hand. It yields just enough meat for this recipe.
More From Southern Living
Bake: 40 Minutes
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups packed crumbled cornbread
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 3 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 (4.5-ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- Sauté celery and onion in hot oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender; set aside.
- Combine cornbread and poultry seasoning in a large bowl.
- Layer half of cornbread mixture on bottom of a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish.
- Combine onion mixture, chicken, and next 6 ingredients in a bowl. Spoon mixture evenly over top of cornbread mixture in dish. Top evenly with remaining half of cornbread mixture, and drizzle with butter.
- Bake, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Remove from oven, and top with cheese. Bake, uncovered, 10 more minutes or until cheese is golden. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note