Chicken and Artichoke Pie
This spectacular pie is excellent hot or cold. Serve it with steamed green beans with pine nuts. This is the first thing I ever cooked for the man who became my husband and he was very impressed!
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 4 chicken breasts skinned and boned
- 2 tablespoon(s) butter melted
- 1/2 lemon
- 6 ounce(s) marinated artichoke hearts drained
- 16 ounce(s) phyllo dough thawed
- 1/2 cup(s) butter melted
- 1 cup(s) milk
- 2 tablespoon(s) butter
- 2 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour
- black pepper freshly ground, to taste
- salt to taste
- garlic powder to taste
- Brush chicken breasts with 2 tblsp. melted butter. Place on baking sheet; broil for 5 minutes on each side. Pare lemon rind with vegetable peeler; reserve. Squeeze lemon juice over breasts. Let cool. Cut chicken into chunks. Set aside.
- Sauce: In small saucepan, combine reserved lemon rind and milk; bring to simmer. Remove from heat and let stand for 30 minutes to flavor milk. Strain and reserve milk. In saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Pour in lemon milk, bring to boil, stirring constantly. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder and any juices from chicken. Remove from heat.
- Combine chicken, artichokes and sauce. Let cool. Place 1 sheet of phyllo in buttered 8-inch spring-form pan, letting phyllo drape over edges of pan. Brush lightly with some of the melted butter. Make a quarter-turn of the pan, then repeat with second sheet of phyllo. Butter lightly. Continue to line pan with phyllo sheets, brushing each sheet with some of the butter. Use 8 sheets of phyllo in all. Spoon in chicken mixture. Fold extended phyllo sheets over top of pie. Cover top with two 8-inch circles of phyllo. Butter top sheet. Wrap well and freeze if desired.
- Thaw in refrigerator and place pie in 425F oven; reduce heat to 375F and bake for 40 minutes or until top is golden. Remove sides of pan and place pie on serving plate. Cut into wedges to serve.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by sletkeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note