Chicken-and-Andouille Sausage Gumbo
Yield: Makes 3 quarts
- 1 pound andouille sausage, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 boneless, chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup pure olive oil
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- Hot cooked rice
- Filé powder (optional)
- Garnish: celery leaves
- Brown andouille sausage in a Dutch oven ove medium heat, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink. Remove sausage, reserving dripping in pan. Set sausage aside.
- Cut chicken breasts and thighs into 1-inch pieces, and brown in hot drippings over medium heat. Remove chicken, reserving drippings.
- Measure drippings, adding enough olive oil to measure 1/2 cup. Heat mixture in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot. Whisk in flour , and cook, whisking constantly, 10 to 12 minutes or until roux is caramel colored.
- Add chopped onion and next 3 ingredients; cook, stirring often, untilvegetables are tender. Gradually stir in 4 cups water and broth; bring to a boil. Add chicken, Creole seasoning, and next 3 ingredients; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- Add sausage and green onions, and cook 30 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaves; serve over rice. Serve with filé powder, and garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews