I have also been making this recipe since the 90's. Simple, tastey and good enough for company. If my chicken is thick, I may pre-cook for a few minutes in a frying pan before wrapping in dough.
More From Southern Living
Bake: 25 Minutes
- 1 (17 1/4-ounce) package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 1 (4-ounce) container garlic-and-spice-flavored Alouette cheese*
- 6 skinned and boned chicken breast halves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1. Unfold pastry sheets, and roll each sheet into a 14- x 12-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Cut 1 sheet into 4 (7- x 6-inch) rectangles; cut second sheet into 2 (7- x 6-inch) rectangles and 1 (14- x 6-inch) rectangle. Set large rectangle aside. Shape each small rectangle into an oval by trimming off corners. Spread pastry ovals evenly with cheese, leaving a 1/2-inch border around edge.
- 2. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, and place in center of each pastry oval. Lightly moisten pastry edges with water. Fold ends over chicken; fold sides over, pressing to seal. Place each bundle, seam side down, on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- 3. Whisk together egg and 1 tablespoon water; brush mixture over chicken bundles.
- 4. Cut designs from reserved pastry sheet, using a small leaf cutter and a small flower cutter. Score leaves with a paring knife, if desired. Use a wooden pick to make a small hole in center of flowers. Cut 6 narrow strips for stems. Dip cutouts in egg mixture, and arrange in a decorative pattern over chicken bundles. Cover and chill up to 24 hours, or bake immediately.
- 5. Bake at 400° on lower oven rack 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- * 1/2 cup chives-and-onion-flavored cream cheese may be substituted for Alouette cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes