Chicken à la King
A classic American dish evoking childhood memories for some of us, Chicken à la King is elegant enough for a party buffet, and yet comfort food at its best. Serve the creamy chicken over our Crisp Cheddar-Cornmeal Waffles, and it'll be a hit. The dish can be prepared 2 days ahead, stored covered, and chilled.
More From Oxmoor House
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 pounds skinned and boned chicken breasts
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 red bell peppers, diced 1/2
- 1 medium onion, diced 1/2
- 1 (8-oz.) package fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crisp Cheddar-Cornmeal Waffles
- Garnishes: toasted sliced almonds, flat-leaf parsley
- Pour broth in a Dutch oven or stockpot; bring to a boil. Add chicken; reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, uncovered, 10 minutes. Remove chicken from broth; coarsely chop, and set aside. Strain broth through a sieve into a saucepan; simmer, uncovered, over medium heat until reduced to 2 1/2 cups (10 to 20 minutes).
- Melt 3 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté red bell pepper and onion 4 minutes or until tender. Add mushrooms, salt, and ground red pepper; sauté 4 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- While broth continues to simmer, preheat waffle iron, and cook waffles.
- Melt remaining 3 Tbsp. butter in Dutch oven over low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook 3 minutes, whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in reserved 2 1/2 cups broth and cream; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until sauce is thickened and bubbly.
- Add chicken and reserved vegetables to sauce. Stir in sherry and lemon juice; cook over medium heat, just until thoroughly heated. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve over waffles. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note