Excellent! This is a 5-star restaurant caliber dish! I don't agree that this a 10-serving recipe, though. My family of 4 ate the entire batch.
Chianti-Stained Risotto with Pears and Blue Cheese
This winter risotto would enhance a simple roasted beef tenderloin seasoned with cracked black pepper and sea salt. Serve the rest of the Chianti with your meal.
Yield: 10 servings (serving size: about 1/2 cup risotto, about 1/4 cup pears, about 1 tablespoon cheese, 1 1/2 teaspoons nuts, and about 1/2 teaspoon parsley))
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 247
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 7.5g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Protein: 7.6g
- Carbohydrate: 36.6g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Cholesterol: 6mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
- Sodium: 379mg
- Calcium: 51mg
- 1 cup pear nectar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup Chianti or other dry red wine
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 firm Bosc pears, peeled, cored, and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Bring first 3 ingredients to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots, thyme, and garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add rice; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in wine; cook 2 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add broth mixture, 3/4 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 30 minutes total). Stir in salt and pepper.
- Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of oil and butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pears; sauté 4 minutes. Serve pears over risotto; sprinkle with cheese, nuts, and parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables