These were a bit sweet for me. I thought it odd that there was no salt in the recipe, so I added a generous 1/4 tsp, and it could have used more. I subbed agave for the corn syrup, but don't think that should make much difference. I did use unsalted butter. Hopefully they will travel well, as claimed!
Chewy Red, White, and Blue Cookies
You can find red, white, and blue candies at supermarkets and discount stores before the Fourth of July.
Yield: Makes 5 dozen
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
- 4 1/2 cups uncooked regular oats
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1 cup (6 ounces) red, white, and blue candy-coated chocolate pieces
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Beat sugars and butter at low speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs and next 3 ingredients, beating until combined. Stir in oats and remaining ingredients.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake, in batches, at 350° for 15 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used red, white, and blue M&Ms.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This