Yum. I used Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Light Corn Syrup from New Seasons and putting it in the fridge for 8 hours made the bars stick together. Really small serving size though! :(
Chewy Oat Squares
Photo: Johnny Autry; Styling: Cindy Barr
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 20 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 159
- Fat: 7.1g
- Saturated fat: 3.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 2.1g
- Carbohydrate: 26.6g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 52mg
- Calcium: 32mg
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 6 whole pitted dates, coarsely chopped
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup golden cane syrup (such as Lyle's Golden Syrup)
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°.
- 2. Line a 9-inch square metal baking pan with parchment paper; coat with cooking spray. Place juice and dates in a food processor; pulse until dates are finely chopped.
- 3. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in date mixture, syrup, and salt. Remove date mixture from heat. Cool 5 minutes. Stir in oats, cherries, chocolate, and sesame seeds. Spoon oat mixture into prepared pan. Using wet hands, carefully press the mixture into the corners of the pan.
- 4. Bake at 325° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes. Place pan in refrigerator; cool 20 minutes. Invert oat mixture onto cutting board; cut into 16 squares.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note