Chewy Oat Bars
from Women's Day Magazine Original recipe calls for sugar which I eliminated to cut down on the sugar content. I added natural peanut butter and an egg to reduce the crumbly texture. Baked twice ( the first time, without peanut butter and egg) gave the oats a nice golden brown and toasted flavor. Toasting the oats before mixing with other ingredients in a skillet might give the same flavor. planning to substitute peanuts for almonds because of nut allergy
Yield: 24 servings
Community Recipe from
- 2 stick(s) butter
- 2/3 cup(s) honey
- 1 cup(s) natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup(s) sugar ( I eliminated this ingredient)
- 1 egg
- 5 cup(s) oats
- 1/3 cup(s) sunflower seeds
- 1 cup(s) unsalted roasted almonds chopped roughly
- 1 cup(s) dried cranberries
- pinch(s) salt
- 1 tablespoon(s) all purpose flour
- 1. Heat oven to 325*. Line 9x13 pan with parchment, leaving 2 inch overhang around pan edges.
- 2. Place butter,,honey, peanut butter and sugar in pot and cook over medium-low heat until melted, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. When cool , add beaten egg.
- 3. In large bowl combine oats, sunflower seeds, almonds , cranberries, flour and salt. Add to melted butter mixture and fold to combine. Press into pan, bake about 30-35 minutes. Transfer to rack and cool completely. Remove from pan using overhangs and cut into 24 pieces.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by carolynjgardner and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Chewy Oat Bars Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Breakfast/Brunch
More Recipes for Main Dishes