This recipe is a keeper.
Chewy Coffee-Toffee Shortbread
Toffee bits give this golden shortbread its slightly chewy texture. This cookie is particularly nice dipped in a cup of coffee.
Yield: 16 cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder (we tested with Café Bustelo)
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup almond toffee bits (we tested with Hershey's)
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Stir together espresso powder and water. Add to butter mixture, stirring well.
- Combine flour and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating at low speed until blended. Stir in toffee bits. Cover and chill dough 30 minutes.
- Roll dough to 1/2" thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut with a 2 1/2" round cutter or Christmas cookie cutter. Place 2" apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 275° for 50 minutes. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheets. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Note: If you can't find almond toffee bits in the supermarket, substitute 1/2 cup finely crushed Skor candy bars or crushed Werther's Original candies.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This