Chestnut Soup with Pine Nuts and Currants
Notes: If using cooked, peeled chestnuts, omit steps 1 and 2. If making soup through step 5 up to 2 days ahead, cover and chill.
Yield: Makes about 3 quarts; 8 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 408
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Protein: 13g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 3.4g
- Carbohydrate: 65g
- Fiber: 12g
- Sodium: 96mg
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- 3 pounds fresh chestnuts or 5 cups cooked, peeled chestnuts (fresh, frozen, canned, or vacuum-packed; see notes)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 7 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half (light cream)
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- Salt and pepper
- 1. Cut an X about 1/2 inch long through the flat side of each chestnut shell. Place nuts in a 12- by 17-inch pan.
- 2. Bake in a 400° oven until shells begin to split open and nuts are slightly soft (break 1 open to test), 25 to 30 minutes. Hold 1 hot nut at a time in a soft potholder and squeeze to loosen shell. Pull off shell and brown skin; use a small, sharp knife to pull bits of skin from crevices. Discard any moldy or hard, dried nuts.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat, frequently stir onion, celery, and fennel seed in 1 tablespoon oil until vegetables are limp, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 4. Add broth and chestnuts; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until chestnuts mash easily, about 40 minutes.
- 5. Whirl mixture, a portion at a time, in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- 6. Return purée to pan and add half-and-half. Stir over medium-high heat until steaming, about 3 minutes (about 8 minutes if chilled).
- 7. Meanwhile, in a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium heat, frequently stir currants and pine nuts in remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil until nuts are golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Pour into a small bowl.
- 8. Ladle soup into bowls and top equally with currant-pine nut mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This
Food & Wine