Very rich in flavor. Best variation of thelis recipe!
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Linda Hirst
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Coastal Living
Bake: 55 Minutes
- 1 (12-ounce) loaf French bread
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pint shucked oysters, drained
- 1 (7- to 8-ounce) container whole roasted chestnuts, chopped
- 2 cups turkey or chicken broth
- Garnish: fresh parsley leaves
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Slice bread into 1/2-inch slices; cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Spread on a baking sheet, and bake 15 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- 2. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until tender. Add sherry and next 5 ingredients. Cook 5 minutes or until sherry is almost evaporated. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- 3. Stir in parsley and next 3 ingredients, tossing until well-blended. Transfer mixture to a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Cover baking dish with aluminum foil. (May be covered and refrigerated overnight. Let come to room temperature before baking.)
- 4. Bake stuffing 40 minutes. Uncover, and bake 15 minutes or until golden brown. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This