Chestnut and Sharp Cheddar Crostini
Photo: Leo Gong; Styling: Randy Mon
Yield: Serves 10 (makes 20)
More From Sunset
1 Hour, 15 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 220
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Protein: 5.9g
- Fat: 7.5g
- Saturated fat: 4.2g
- Carbohydrate: 32g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Sodium: 195mg
- Cholesterol: 19mg
- 24 chestnuts in the shell (3/4 to 1 lb.)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons pickling spice
- 20 thin slices slender baguette, brushed with butter and toasted
- 5 ounces extra-sharp white cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 20 watercress sprigs
- Salt and pepper
- 1. Cut an X through shell on flat side of each chestnut with a small, sharp knife. Simmer chestnuts in water, covered, until tender and sweet (peel one to check), 18 to 20 minutes.
- 2. Remove from heat and leave in hot water. Take out a few at a time; let stand just until cool enough to touch. Pull off outer shell and inner brown skin with fingers or a knife.
- 3. Microwave honey with pickling spice until boiling; let cool.
- 4. Top baguette slices with cheese, watercress, and chestnuts (save extras for another use). Rewarm honey slightly; discard large, round allspice. Spoon honey with remaining spices over crostini. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with plenty of napkins.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 2 crostini.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note