Cherry Upside-Down Cake
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 (16-ounce) can tart cherries, undrained
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cherry Sauce
- Whipped cream
- Grease a 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking pan; sprinkle brown sugar evenly over bottom of pan. Drain cherries, reserving juice for Cherry Sauce; add enough water to juice to equal 1 1/2 cups. Set aside. Spoon cherries evenly over brown sugar. Set aside.
- Cream shortening; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add egg, beating well. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour batter over cherries in pan. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cut into squares, and spoon Cherry Sauce over top. Garnish with whipped cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This