- 3 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted and divided
- 2 (16-ounce) cans pitted dark sweet cherries, undrained
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 1/4 teaspoons almond extract, divided
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
How to Make It
Gradually add 2 1/2 cups sugar to beaten eggs in a large mixing bowl, beating well. Stir in 2 tablespoons melted butter. Drain cherries, reserving liquid. Fold cherries into egg mixture.
Combine flour, soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and cinnamon in a medium mixing bowl. Gently fold into egg mixture. Stir in 2 teaspoons almond extract.
Pour batter evenly into a greased and floured 13- x 9- x 2- inch baking pan. Sprinkle pecans evenly over top of batter. Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Cool.
Combine remaining sugar, cornstarch, and remaining salt in a medium saucepan. Stir in reserved cherry juice, remaining butter, and remaining almond extract. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Cool.
To serve, cut into 2-inch squares. Place on individual serving plates; spoon sauce over tops, and dollop with whipped cream.