More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 348
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 7.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 6g
- Carbohydrate: 53g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 31mg
- Sodium: 271mg
- Rs: 1.2g
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 3 ounces crystallized ginger, coarsely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and set aside.
- 2. Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a food processor. Process 10 seconds or until oats are finely chopped. Add margarine; process until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- 3. Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl; stir in cherries and ginger.
- 4. Combine buttermilk and egg whites in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Add buttermilk mixture to dry mixture; stir just until a sticky dough forms.
- 5. Transfer dough to parchment paper-lined baking sheet, and pat into a 9-inch circle (about 1 inch thick). Sprinkle with all-purpose flour, if necessary, to keep dough from sticking to hands.
- 6. Divide dough by hand or with a knife into 8 equal wedges. Separate wedges slightly, and bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until browned and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note