1. In a bowl or a food processor, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut butter into chunks and add to flour mixture. Cut in with a pastry blender or pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together half-and-half and egg. Reserve 2 tablespoons half-and-half mixture; add remaining to flour mixture along with chocolate, nuts, and cherries. Stir with a fork just until evenly moistened.
3. Scrape dough onto a floured surface and, with lightly floured hands, squeeze dough together into a ball. Pat dough out into a 7-inch round about 1 3/4 inches thick. Cut into eight equal wedges.
4. Place wedges 2 inches apart on a buttered or cooking parchment-lined 12- by 15-inch baking sheet. Brush tops of wedges lightly with reserved half-and-half mixture (discard any remaining).
5. Bake scones in a 350° regular or convection oven until tops are browned, about 25 minutes. Let cool about 10 minutes on baking sheet, then serve warm or let cool completely.
Go to Full Version of