This is excellent...I would never have thought to combine cherries and pasta, but if fruit works so well with meat, why not? I did use Rainier cherries and think this is a good way to showcase a pricey fruit. I make my own whole-wheat ravioli and borrowed a filling recipe from CL Ravioli with Herbed Ricotta Filling, using blended cottage cheese and a bit of mascarpone in place of the ricotta. It was just as well that I decided to reduce the butter by half, as one doesn't realize until reading the recipe that half is set aside. I served this with a very simple spinach salad but would also pair it with green beans, broccoli or asparagus. I would make this again and certainly serve it to company.
Cherry Brown Butter Ravioli
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Food Styling: Kevin Crafts
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 314
- Calories from fat: 39%
- Protein: 10g
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 6g
- Carbohydrate: 41g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Sodium: 347mg
- Cholesterol: 41mg
- 10 ounce store-bought cheese ravioli
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- About 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 cups pitted and halved Rainier cherries
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1. Cook pasta as package directs. Drain and spread out on a shallow serving platter. Tent with foil to keep warm.
- 2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until butter starts to turn medium brown and smells nutty, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat and carefully add lemon juice and 1/2 tsp. salt (it will bubble up). Pour all but 2 tbsp. brown butter into a small bowl; keep warm.
- 3. Put cherries in pan of brown butter and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until hot and skins start to wrinkle, about 7 minutes.
- 4. Pour cherries over reserved pasta along with half of reserved brown butter. Sprinkle with almonds and thyme, and add salt to taste. Serve with remaining butter.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes