I think I was a little short on the cherries, so this was probably chef-error, but I thought it needed just a touch more sweetness. Next time, I'll make sure I have the right ratio of sweet to savory! Otherwise, the flavors were lovely together.
Cherry and Brie Burgers with Rosemary and Grilled Onion
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Food Styling: Randy Mon
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 681
- Calories from fat: 43%
- Protein: 34g
- Fat: 33g
- Saturated fat: 11g
- Carbohydrate: 61g
- Fiber: 11g
- Sodium: 963mg
- Cholesterol: 103mg
- 2 tablespoons coarse or fine bulgur wheat
- 1 cup finely chopped onion plus 1 medium onion sliced 1/3 in. thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 cup dried tart cherries
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound lean ground beef or bison (90 percent lean)
- 4 ounces brie cheese, thinly sliced to fit burgers
- 4 sesame hamburger buns, split
- 1. Combine bulgur and 1/3 cup boiling water in a 2-cup glass measure. Let stand 10 minutes, then microwave until liquid is absorbed, 2 to 3 minutes. Let cool.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook chopped onion in 1 tbsp. oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until deep golden, stirring often, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in garlic, scrape into a large bowl, and let cool. Brush sliced onion with remaining 1 tbsp. oil and set aside. In a bowl, combine mayonnaise, lemon zest, 1/2 tsp. rosemary, and 1/4 tsp. pepper; chill.
- 3. Heat grill to medium (350° to 450°). Whirl cherries in a food processor until they're finely ground and form a ball. Add them to chopped onion with remaining 2 tsp. rosemary and 1/2 tsp. pepper, the salt, and bulgur; blend well with your fingers. Add ground beef and mix gently but thoroughly. Shape into 4 patties, 1/2 in. thick.
- 4. Grill onion slices, turning occasionally, until well browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Grill burgers, turning once with a wide spatula, until they no longer stick to grate and grill marks appear, 10 to 12 minutes total; about 2 minutes before burgers are done, top them with brie and grill the buns.
- 5. Spread buns with mayonnaise; add lettuce, burgers, and onions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches