Absolutely delicious. I found it a bit too sweet, which is the reason for the 4 stars instead of 5 stars. I loved it, but not everyone in my family did because of the sweetness. I think I will try it with less sugar next time.
Fresh tart cherries can be hard to find, which is why we add some dried ones to boost the flavor of this crisp. If you have access to fresh tart cherries, use 3 pounds and omit the dried fruit. Serve with vanilla low-fat ice cream, if desired; a small (1/4-cup) scoop will add 55 calories and 0.5 grams of saturated fat to each serving.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 35 Minutes
- Calories: 277
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 3.3g
- Carbohydrate: 52.2g
- Fiber: 5.5g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 103mg
- Calcium: 36mg
- 1 cup dried tart cherries
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 pounds sweet cherries, pitted
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Cooking spray
- 3.4 ounces all-purpose flour (about 3/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1. Combine dried cherries and boiling water in a small bowl; cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- 2. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 3. Combine dried cherries with soaking liquid, 2 pounds sweet cherries, and the next 4 ingredients (through cinnamon) in a large bowl; stir well. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- 4. Pour the cherry mixture into a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until thick and bubbly.
- 5. While cherry mixture bakes, weigh or lightly spoon 3.4 ounces flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, almonds, and salt in a medium bowl, and stir well. Combine butter and almond extract in a small bowl, and drizzle over oat mixture, stirring until moist clumps form.
- 6. Remove cherry mixture from oven, and sprinkle evenly with the streusel topping. Bake an additional 20 minutes or until streusel is golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes; serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note