1. Combine dried cherries and boiling water in a small bowl; cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 375°.
3. Combine dried cherries with soaking liquid, 2 pounds sweet cherries, and the next 4 ingredients (through cinnamon) in a large bowl; stir well. Let stand for 15 minutes.
4. Pour the cherry mixture into a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until thick and bubbly.
5. While cherry mixture bakes, weigh or lightly spoon 3.4 ounces flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, almonds, and salt in a medium bowl, and stir well. Combine butter and almond extract in a small bowl, and drizzle over oat mixture, stirring until moist clumps form.
6. Remove cherry mixture from oven, and sprinkle evenly with the streusel topping. Bake an additional 20 minutes or until streusel is golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes; serve warm.