Chef Boy R Dee Eggplant Parm using Pizza box
Community Recipe from
- 1 box(es) Chef Boyrdee Cheese Pizza box
- 1 can(s) Chef Boyrdee Pizza Sauce
- 1 1/2 pound(s) Extra Lean Ground Beef
- 1/2 pound(s) Hot Italian Sausage
- 2 tablespoon(s) Chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon(s) Minced Garlic
- 4 tablespoon(s) Extra Virgin Olive Oil divide in 2
- 1 teaspoon(s) Black Pepper fresh ground
- 2 whole(s) Large Eggplants sliced horizontally
- 1 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 2 cup(s) Italian Style Breadcrumbs
- 2 whole(s) Large Eggs
- 1 cup(s) Vegetable or Canola Oil
- 8 ounce(s) Bag of 6 Italian Cheese Blend
- 2 ounce(s) Brick Parmasean Cheese
- 12 sprig(s) Fresh Rosemary remove stems
- 1 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- Prepare Sauce
- Heat 2 tablespoon olive oil, brown the ground beef* and onions and garlic and black pepper. Add both cans Chef Boyardee Pizza sauce. Simmer 30 minutes.
- Prepare Eggplant
- Peel eggplant. Slice lengthwise into 1/3rd inch thick slices. You should have 9 to 10 slices
- using 3 separate flat containers that will fit your eggplant slices –
- First one: put flour
- Second one: Beat 2 eggs with 2 tablespoons cold water until frothy
- Third one: Bread crumbs
- Cover eggplant slice with flour, dip in egg, then roll in breadcrumbs – repeat till all
- slices are covered and set aside on plate until ready to fry. (this way you can concentrate on frying with undivided attention and won’t burn them)
- Heat 1 cup vegetable oil in large shallow frying pan. (mine was large enough to fry 3 slices of eggplant at a time.) Fry breaded eggplant on each side approximately 2 minutes – or until golden brown. Remove from frying pan onto cookie sheet with paper towel on bottom. Repeat till all eggplant is cooked.
- Assemble Casserole
- In casserole dish, put thin layer of meat sauce on bottom and spread, add 1 layer of eggplant slices,
- (the pieces should be kidney shaped and fit together to cover the dish). Add 1/3 remaining meat sauce and cover with 1/3 the bag of Italian blend cheese. Repeat eggplant layer - sauce - cheese till you have used up all eggplant and sauce and cheese. The final top layer should be ¾ of the Parmesan cheese you shredded yourself.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes until top layer of cheese is golden brown.
- Garlic Breadsticks
- Pour Chef Boyardee pizza dough packet into glass mixing bowl – reserve 4 tablespoons of the dry mix. Add 1 teaspoon garlic powder to dry mix in bowl and stir to combine well.
- Add only 1 and 1/3 cup very warm water and mix thoroughly. Cover and set in warm place to rise for 5 minutes.
- Combine chopped rosemary with packet of Parmesan cheese from the Chef Boyardee Pizza box and the remaining ¼ cup parmesan cheese you grated earlier. Mix well on a large plate. (use fingers and pinch as you mix to rub the rosemary into the cheese and release flavor)
- On another plate spread the 2 remaining tablespoons of olive oil.
- Lightly grease (or spray) a pizza pan (or 2)
- On a large cutting board spread the reserved dry pizza mix. Scoop out 1 to 2 tablespoons of pizza dough and roll out in dry mix until the size of a bread stick. (if you run out of dry mix and board gets sticky – recover board with all purpose flour)
- Roll breadstick lightly in the olive oil. (you may need to add olive oil to this plate towards the end also)
- Finally, roll the breadstick in the rosemary parmesan mix and lay it on the greased pizza pan. Repeat with remainder of dough leaving 2 inches between breadsticks because they will rise while cooking.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- * Ground beef can be replaced with fresh sliced or canned mushrooms and black olives for a “Vegetarian” sauce, or may also be replaced with Italian Sausage or Ground Turkey or any combination thereof.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by VernaChaney and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note