Chef Boy R Dee Eggplant Parm using Pizza box
Tried to enter this in Chef B RDee recipe contest in March but got disqualified because I sent wrong picture. If I do say so myself (with family backup) I still honestly believe it would have won Grand Prize. Loved the casserole and bread sticks.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 box(es) Chef Boyrdee Cheese Pizza box
- 1 can(s) Chef Boyrdee Pizza Sauce
- 1 1/2 pound(s) Extra Lean Ground Beef
- 1/2 pound(s) Hot Italian Sausage
- 2 tablespoon(s) Chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon(s) Minced Garlic
- 4 tablespoon(s) Extra Virgin Olive Oil divide in 2
- 1 teaspoon(s) Black Pepper fresh ground
- 2 whole(s) Large Eggplants sliced horizontally
- 1 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 2 cup(s) Italian Style Breadcrumbs
- 2 whole(s) Large Eggs
- 1 cup(s) Vegetable or Canola Oil
- 8 ounce(s) Bag of 6 Italian Cheese Blend
- 2 ounce(s) Brick Parmasean Cheese
- 12 sprig(s) Fresh Rosemary remove stems
- 1 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- Prepare Sauce
- Heat 2 tablespoon olive oil, brown the ground beef* and onions and garlic and black pepper. Add both cans Chef Boyardee Pizza sauce. Simmer 30 minutes.
- Prepare Eggplant
- Peel eggplant. Slice lengthwise into 1/3rd inch thick slices. You should have 9 to 10 slices
- using 3 separate flat containers that will fit your eggplant slices –
- First one: put flour
- Second one: Beat 2 eggs with 2 tablespoons cold water until frothy
- Third one: Bread crumbs
- Cover eggplant slice with flour, dip in egg, then roll in breadcrumbs – repeat till all
- slices are covered and set aside on plate until ready to fry. (this way you can concentrate on frying with undivided attention and won’t burn them)
- Heat 1 cup vegetable oil in large shallow frying pan. (mine was large enough to fry 3 slices of eggplant at a time.) Fry breaded eggplant on each side approximately 2 minutes – or until golden brown. Remove from frying pan onto cookie sheet with paper towel on bottom. Repeat till all eggplant is cooked.
- Assemble Casserole
- In casserole dish, put thin layer of meat sauce on bottom and spread, add 1 layer of eggplant slices,
- (the pieces should be kidney shaped and fit together to cover the dish). Add 1/3 remaining meat sauce and cover with 1/3 the bag of Italian blend cheese. Repeat eggplant layer - sauce - cheese till you have used up all eggplant and sauce and cheese. The final top layer should be ¾ of the Parmesan cheese you shredded yourself.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes until top layer of cheese is golden brown.
- Garlic Breadsticks
- Pour Chef Boyardee pizza dough packet into glass mixing bowl – reserve 4 tablespoons of the dry mix. Add 1 teaspoon garlic powder to dry mix in bowl and stir to combine well.
- Add only 1 and 1/3 cup very warm water and mix thoroughly. Cover and set in warm place to rise for 5 minutes.
- Combine chopped rosemary with packet of Parmesan cheese from the Chef Boyardee Pizza box and the remaining ¼ cup parmesan cheese you grated earlier. Mix well on a large plate. (use fingers and pinch as you mix to rub the rosemary into the cheese and release flavor)
- On another plate spread the 2 remaining tablespoons of olive oil.
- Lightly grease (or spray) a pizza pan (or 2)
- On a large cutting board spread the reserved dry pizza mix. Scoop out 1 to 2 tablespoons of pizza dough and roll out in dry mix until the size of a bread stick. (if you run out of dry mix and board gets sticky – recover board with all purpose flour)
- Roll breadstick lightly in the olive oil. (you may need to add olive oil to this plate towards the end also)
- Finally, roll the breadstick in the rosemary parmesan mix and lay it on the greased pizza pan. Repeat with remainder of dough leaving 2 inches between breadsticks because they will rise while cooking.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- * Ground beef can be replaced with fresh sliced or canned mushrooms and black olives for a “Vegetarian” sauce, or may also be replaced with Italian Sausage or Ground Turkey or any combination thereof.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by VernaChaney and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note