We love this recipe. It is a winter standard at our house. You can easily double the cheese. Great!!!
Cheesy Vegetable Soup
Photo: Tina Cornett
Yield: 1 gallon
- 1 (3- to 4-pound) chicken, cut up
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups diced celery
- 2 cups diced carrot
- 2 cups diced potato
- 2 cups uncooked quick rice
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 cups water
- 1 (16-ounce) process cheese spread loaf, cubed
- Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until tender. Remove chicken, reserving broth in Dutch oven.
- Skin, bone, and chop chicken. Return chicken to broth. Add onion and next 6 ingredients.
- Bring chicken mixture to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 hour and 30 minutes. Add cheese, and cook, stirring often, until cheese melts (do not boil).
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note