Cheesy Vegetable Pasta
More From Real Simple
Amount per serving
- Calories: 670
- Calories from fat: 43%
- Fat: 32g
- Saturated fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 49mg
- Sodium: 998mg
- Carbohydrate: 73g
- Fiber: 13g
- Sugars: 18g
- Protein: 30g
- 1/2 pound dry ziti or penne
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 2 medium eggplants, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 large yellow onion, quartered
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup pasta sauce
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) crumbled Feta
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
Meanwhile, whisk together the vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and 1 tablespoon of the oil in a small bowl. Place the zucchini, eggplants, and onion on a baking sheet. Brush with the vinaigrette. Heat broiler on high. Broil until tender, 8 minutes per side.
Heat oven to 350° F. Chop the roasted vegetables. Place a large pot over low heat. Add the garlic and the remaining oil and cook for 3 minutes. Add the drained pasta, vegetables, oregano, tomatoes, pasta sauce, Feta, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and the remaining salt and toss. Transfer to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with the mozzarella. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 20 minutes more.
To Freeze: Assemble (but do not bake) the casserole. Cover tightly with two layers of aluminum foil. Store for up to 3 months.
To Reheat: Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or thaw partially in the microwave. Cover and heat in a 350° F oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and heat for 10 minutes more.
Tip: To make individual servings, freeze the pasta in ramekins or small ovenproof bowls. Cover and heat for 20 minutes, then uncover and heat for 10 minutes more.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes