This was not good. It certainly wasn't worth the effort. The final texture was very strange.
Cheesy Vegetable Moussaka
Broiling the eggplant coaxes out a deeper, more complex flavor. We like to keep the antioxidant-packed skin on, but feel free to peel the eggplant before broiling. You can garnish the dish with extra basil leaves.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 30 Minutes
- Calories: 335
- Fat: 11.9g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Protein: 20.6g
- Carbohydrate: 38g
- Fiber: 9.9g
- Cholesterol: 77mg
- Iron: 3.8mg
- Sodium: 586mg
- Calcium: 247mg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons unsalted tomato paste
- 3/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can unsalted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 large eggplants, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- Cooking spray
- 3 (8-ounce) packages presliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 1/2 cups plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 2.5 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 2/3 cup)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 1 ounce vegetarian Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup)
- 1. Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion; cook 6 minutes or until onion is tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Add 1 cup water, quinoa, tomato paste, salt, pepper, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in basil.
- 2. Preheat broiler to high.
- 3. Place half of eggplant slices on a foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray; lightly coat both sides of eggplant slices with cooking spray. Broil 5 inches from heat for 5 minutes on each side or until browned. Repeat procedure with remaining eggplant. Set eggplant aside.
- 4. Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- 5. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add mushrooms; cook 8 minutes. Add wine and soy sauce; simmer 4 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in dill.
- 6. Combine yogurt, feta cheese, eggs, and egg white in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk until smooth.
- 7. Spread half of the tomato sauce in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange half of eggplant slices over sauce. Spread mushroom mixture over eggplant; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Spoon remaining tomato sauce over cheese; top with remaining eggplant slices. Spoon yogurt mixture evenly over eggplant. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until topping is lightly browned.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note