- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 celery ribs, sliced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 large potato, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can whole kernel corn, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (16-ounce) loaf pasteurized prepared cheese product, cubed
- 1 (2-ounce) jar diced pimiento, undrained
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Garnish: celery leaves
How to Make It
Bring first 6 ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until potato is tender. Stir in corn; remove from heat.
Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until mixture is smooth. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
Stir in milk and next 5 ingredients. Cook, stirring constantly, until cheese melts. Gradually stir cheese mixture into vegetable mixture.
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until soup is thoroughly heated. Garnish, if desired, and serve immediately.