- 2 jalapeño peppers
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
- 1 cup evaporated fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup tub light cream cheese
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) reduced-fat shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- calories 287
- fat 6.8 g
- satfat 4 g
- protein 14.1 g
- carbohydrate 41.2 g
- cholesterol 18 mg
- iron 2.8 mg
- sodium 682 mg
- caloriesfromfat 22 %
- fiber 2.5 g
- calcium 330 mg
How to Make It
Remove and discard stems and seeds from jalapeño peppers; mince peppers, and set aside.
Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until golden. Add spinach, minced pepper, and milk; stir to blend thoroughly. Bring to a boil; add cream cheese, and stir until cheese melts. Remove from heat.
Add rice, Cheddar cheese, artichokes, salt, and black pepper to spinach mixture; stir well. Place over medium heat; cover and cook 7 to 10 minutes, stirring twice, until mixture thickens slightly.