- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup regular grits
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese with peppers
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound small fresh shrimp, peeled and cooked
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
How to Make It
Bring 4 cups chicken broth and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a large saucepan; stir in grits. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
Stir together grits, 3/4 cup Cheddar cheese, and Monterey Jack cheese.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add green onions, bell pepper, and garlic, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
Stir together green onion mixture, grits mixture, shrimp, and next 3 ingredients. Pour into a lightly greased 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle top with remaining 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese.
Bake at 350° for 30 to 45 minutes.