- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 4 (4-oz.) links sweet chicken Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 6 cups chopped fresh broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- calories 296
- fat 13 g
- satfat 5.3 g
- monofat 4.7 g
- polyfat 2.3 g
- protein 17 g
- carbohydrate 28 g
- fiber 4 g
- cholesterol 48 mg
- iron 2 mg
- sodium 399 mg
- calcium 154 mg
- sugars 4 g
- Est. Added Sugars 0 g
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Bring 2 1/2 cups water and quinoa to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 12 to 14 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove pan from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion, carrot, and sausage; cook 7 minutes, stirring to crumble sausage. Remove sausage mixture to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
Add flour, butter, and garlic to drippings in pan; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add milk and stock; bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk. Reduce heat to medium; stir in broccoli, 2 teaspoons thyme, 3/8 teaspoon salt, 3/8 teaspoon black pepper, and red pepper. Cover and cook 2 minutes. Stir in quinoa and sausage mixture.
Coat 2 (8-inch) square microwave-safe glass or ceramic baking dishes with cooking spray. Divide quinoa mixture between dishes. Combine remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and panko in a bowl; add remaining 1 teaspoon thyme, remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, and cheddar. Sprinkle cheese mixture evenly over casseroles. Bake at 400°F for 18 minutes or until browned, or follow freezing instructions.
How To: FREEZE: Cool unbaked casseroles completely; cover tightly with aluminum foil. Freeze up to 2 months. THAW: Remove foil. Microwave at HIGH 20 minutes or until thawed. REHEAT: Cover with foil and bake at 375°F for 25 minutes; then broil 5 minutes or until golden brown.