I first made this in 2000 and over the years it has become a requested dish in my house. It is great for large gatherings and holidays and when I don't make it, my family asks "why" Its easy and delicious.
Cheesy Potatoes and Onions
- 6 medium potatoes (3 pounds), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 (6-ounce) package process American cheese slices
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups warm milk
- Cook potato in boiling water to cover 5 minutes; drain.
- Layer one-third potato slices, one-third onion slices, and one-third cheese slices in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Repeat layers twice with remaining potato, onion, cheese slices, salt, and pepper. Top with Cheddar cheese.
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, whisking until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Remove from heat; pour over potato mixture.
- Bake at 400° for 35 minutes or until golden. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Cheesy Potatoes and Onions Recipe at a Glance