- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cups stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (4-oz.) jar diced pimientos, well drained
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 425°. Place butter in a 9-inch cast-iron skillet. Place skillet in oven, and heat at 425° for 4 minutes or until butter melts. Remove skillet from oven.
Meanwhile, combine cornmeal and next 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together buttermilk, eggs, and pimientos; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Pour batter over melted butter in hot skillet.
Bake at 425° for 25 minutes or until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.