I thought this was a great dish! Ok, so I used chorizo instead of turkey sausage, because that's what I had, but I tried to drain as much of the fat as possible. Like any baked pasta, there are a few steps so it does take a while to make but the bake time is only 25 minutes, so it was about an hour for me to cook start to finish. Really hearty and good- and plenty of leftovers.
Cheesy Pasta Bake
Photo: Johnny Autry; Styling: Mary Clayton Carl
More From Cooking Light
Total: 59 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 492
- Fat: 14.2g
- Saturated fat: 6.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 30.2g
- Carbohydrate: 88g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 72mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 708mg
- Calcium: 224mg
- 14 ounces uncooked ziti or mostaccioli
- 12 ounces ground turkey breast
- 8 ounces sweet turkey Italian sausage, casings removed
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 5 cups lower-sodium marinara sauce (such as McCutcheon's)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 6 ounces whole-milk mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided (about 1/2 cup packed)
- 2 tablespoons small basil leaves or torn basil
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Cook pasta according to the package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain and set aside.
- 3. Place turkey and sausage in a medium bowl, and mix well with hands to combine. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add turkey mixture to pan; cook 8 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Remove from pan.
- 4. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and pepper; sauté 4 minutes. Add garlic; sauté for 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add wine, scraping the pan to loosen browned bits, and cook for 4 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Stir in pasta, turkey mixture, marinara sauce, and 1/2 cup basil. Spoon mixture into a 13 x 9inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with mozzarella and 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until bubbly and cheese melts and begins to brown. Remove from oven; sprinkle with basil leaves and the remaining 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This