Cheesy Mexican Calzones
More From Southern Living
Bake: 26 Minutes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1 large yellow or red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 (15-oz.) container low-fat ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt-free Southwest chipotle seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 (13.8-oz.) cans refrigerated pizza crust dough
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce*
- 1 (8-oz.) package shredded Mexican four-cheese blend
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. Sauté first 4 ingredients in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 10 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink and vegetables are lightly browned. Remove from skillet, and drain well.
- 2. Stir together ricotta cheese, eggs, and seasoning.
- 3. Unroll 1 can of dough on a lightly greased baking sheet. Stretch dough into a 10- x 13-inch rectangle. Spoon 1/4 cup pizza sauce, 1 cup ricotta mixture, and half of ground beef mixture on half of rectangle, leaving a 1-inch border. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Moisten edges with water; fold dough over, pressing and crimping edges to seal. Cut 3 (1-inch) slits on top of dough to allow steam to escape. Repeat procedure with remaining dough, pizza sauce, ricotta mixture, ground beef mixture, and cheese.
- 4. Bake at 425° for 24 to 26 minutes or until golden. Serve with additional warm pizza sauce, if desired.
- *Marinara sauce may be substituted.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle Seasoning Blend.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches