Cheesy Grits Soufflé
Photo: Hector Sanchez; Styling: Buffy Hargett Miller
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 20 Minutes
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 cups uncooked regular yellow grits
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 3 ears)
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Generously butter a 3-qt. baking dish; freeze 10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, bring 3 cups water and 1 tsp. salt to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Gradually whisk in grits; return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, whisking often, 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened. Whisk in milk, and cook, stirring constantly, 3 to 4 minutes or until grits are creamy.
- 3. Remove from heat, and stir in corn, next 7 ingredients, and remaining 3 tsp. salt. Spread mixture in prepared dish. Place on an aluminum foil-lined jelly-roll pan.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until puffed, firm around edges, and slightly soft in center. Remove from oven to a wire rack, and cool 5 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes