Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Heather Chadduck
Yield: Makes 8 servings
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 3/4 cups self-rising yellow cornmeal
- Preheat oven to 450°. Coat bottom and sides of an 8-inch cast-iron skillet with vegetable oil; heat in oven 5 minutes. Whisk together buttermilk, egg, cheese, and cornmeal. Pour into hot skillet. Bake 25 minutes.
- Cheesy Cornbread Muffins
- Omit vegetable oil. Prepare recipe as directed, spooning batter into a lightly greased 12-cup muffin pan, filling three-fourths full. Decrease bake time to 15 to 17 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note