Cheesy Chicken in Phyllo
For a complete meal, serve with a vinaigrette-tossed salad or sliced fresh fruit.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Southern Living
Amount per serving
- Calories: 462
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 5.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 59g
- Carbohydrate: 28g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 123mg
- Iron: 4.3mg
- Sodium: 971mg
- Calcium: 436mg
- 4 (6-ounce) skinned and boned chicken breast halves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1/2 medium-size sweet onion, diced
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1/2 (8-ounce) package fat-free cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons egg substitute
- 1 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 frozen phyllo pastry sheets, thawed
- Place chicken between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; flatten to 1/8-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Drain spinach well; press between layers of paper towels.
- Sauté spinach and onion in a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat 3 to 4 minutes or until onion is tender. Remove from heat, and stir in cream cheese until blended. Stir in mozzarella cheese and next 5 ingredients. Spoon spinach mixture evenly on each chicken breast half; roll up, jellyroll fashion.
- Unfold phyllo on a lightly floured surface. Stack 2 sheets, coating tops lightly with cooking spray between sheets. (Keep remaining sheets covered with plastic wrap.) Place 1 chicken roll on a short side of phyllo stack; gently roll up, folding in long sides. Repeat procedure with remaining phyllo sheets, cooking spray, and remaining chicken. Place a rack coated with cooking spray in a shallow baking pan; place rolls on top of rack.
- Bake at 425° for 35 to 40 minutes or until chicken is done.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note