Quick, simple, great for a weeknight "in a hurry meal." Oh yes, taste pretty darn good too ;-)
Cheesy Chicken and Pepper Subs
Serve with crunchy vegetable sticks, a simple tossed salad, or steamed green beans.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 412
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.1g
- Protein: 37g
- Carbohydrate: 38.8g
- Fiber: 5.6g
- Cholesterol: 80mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 666mg
- Calcium: 120mg
- 4 (3-ounce) whole-wheat hoagie rolls, split
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound chicken breast tenders
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large julienne-cut yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup lower-sodium marinara sauce (such as Dell'Amore)
- 2 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 1. Preheat broiler to high.
- 2. Hollow out top and bottom halves of hoagie rolls, leaving a 1-inch-thick shell; reserve torn bread for another use. Place hoagie rolls, cut sides up, on a baking sheet, and broil for 1 minute or until rolls are toasted.
- 3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Sprinkle chicken evenly with oregano, salt, and pepper. Add chicken to pan; cook 7 minutes, turning occasionally. Add bell pepper to pan; cook for 2 minutes or until bell pepper is tender and chicken is done. Stir in marinara sauce, and cook 30 seconds or until marinara is thoroughly heated.
- 4. Transfer top halves of rolls to a plate. Divide chicken mixture evenly among bottom halves of rolls; top evenly with cheese. Broil 1 minute or until cheese melts. Top with top halves of rolls.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note