I made three of these casseroles last night, two for families in our church who just had babies and the last one for my husband and myself. I thought they were very good. The chicken on ours was a bit dry but that could totally be compensated by pouring half of the mix, adding the chicken and then pouring the rest on top. I cooked them for an hour last night and then heated them up for fifteen minutes tonight and then topped with cheese. Make sure you get cheese on all of it! This is a recipe I will probably make ahead in the future to have on hand for those busy nights dinner is an afterthought.
Cheesy Chicken & Rice Casserole
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup (Regular or 98% Fat Free)
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 3/4 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts halves
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Heat the oven to 375°F. Stir the soup, water, rice, onion powder, black pepper and vegetables in a 2-quart shallow baking dish.
Top with the chicken. Season the chicken as desired. Cover the baking dish.
Bake for 50 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender. Top with the cheese. Let the casserole stand for 10 minutes. Stir the rice before serving.
Tip: To try it Alfredo, substitute broccoli flowerets for the vegetables and substitute 1/4 cup grated Parmesan for the Cheddar cheese. Add 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese with the soup. Sprinkle the chicken with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
Trim It Down: Use Campbell's® 98% Fat Free Cream of Chicken Soup instead of regular soup and use low fat cheese instead of regular cheese.
Mexican: In place of onion powder and pepper use 1 teaspoon chili powder. Substitute Mexican cheese blend for Cheddar.
Italian: In place of onion powder and pepper use 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, crushed. Substitute 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan for Cheddar.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note