- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 large white onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 soft flatbreads or naan (about 4 to 5 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced (about 6 slices)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 450°. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and 1/8 teaspoon salt; sauté 8 minutes or until onions are lightly caramelized. Transfer to a small bowl.
Brush flatbreads with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil. Stir together ricotta, garlic, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt in a small mixing bowl, and spread onto flatbreads. Top evenly with cheeses and caramelized onion. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Place flatbreads on a large baking sheet, and bake 12 minutes or until cheese is melted and flatbreads are crisp. Let stand 5 minutes. Sprinkle with basil and orange zest, and cut into slices.
Sip: Domaine de Baumard Cremant de Loire "Carte Turquoise," NV, 50% Chenin Blanc, 50% Cabernet Franc ($21): "The presence of green apple and golden raspberry pairs incredibly well with the mix of cheeses and black sesame. Add the light acidity from this sparkling wine and it is a great match." --Michael Velo, bubbly expert from the Carriage House Restaurant in Chicago