Cheesy butternut squash and grits
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 butternut squash about 3 lbs
- 3 cup(s) half and half
- 1 cup(s) water
- 1 cup(s) quick-cooking grits
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cup(s) sharp white cheddar shredded
- 3 tablespoon(s) butter
- 3 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh sage chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) seasoned pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 350.
- 2. Using the tip of a sharp knife, pierce squash several times on all sides. Place squash directly on middle oven rack and bake for 35-40 min or just until tender. Remove from oven, and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- 3. Cut squash in half lengthwise, remove and discard seeds and stringy fiber. Peel squash and cut flesh into abou 1-inch cubes.
- 4. In a large saucepan, bring half and half and 1 cup water to a boil over medium heat. Slowly stir in grits, salt, and garlic powder. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until grits are thickened. Stir in cheese and butter until melted.
- 5. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add squash cubes, sage and seasoned pepper; cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until squash is lightly browned and tender. Serve over hot grits. Garnish with sage sprig, if desired.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by TeriTabs and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note