Cheesy butternut squash and grits
Community Recipe from
- 1 butternut squash about 3 lbs
- 3 cup(s) half and half
- 1 cup(s) water
- 1 cup(s) quick-cooking grits
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cup(s) sharp white cheddar shredded
- 3 tablespoon(s) butter
- 3 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh sage chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) seasoned pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 350.
- 2. Using the tip of a sharp knife, pierce squash several times on all sides. Place squash directly on middle oven rack and bake for 35-40 min or just until tender. Remove from oven, and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- 3. Cut squash in half lengthwise, remove and discard seeds and stringy fiber. Peel squash and cut flesh into abou 1-inch cubes.
- 4. In a large saucepan, bring half and half and 1 cup water to a boil over medium heat. Slowly stir in grits, salt, and garlic powder. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until grits are thickened. Stir in cheese and butter until melted.
- 5. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add squash cubes, sage and seasoned pepper; cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until squash is lightly browned and tender. Serve over hot grits. Garnish with sage sprig, if desired.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by TeriTabs and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes