Fines herbes? Are you kidding? I used Itallian seasoning--works great with the cheeses. I liked the dish overall and will make it again--anyone should be able to stomach broccoli with this dish.
Cheesy Broccoli and Roasted Bell Pepper Strata
This can also be made in two 8-inch square baking dishes. Freeze one for later.
Yield: 9 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 245
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 17.4g
- Carbohydrate: 30.5g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 614mg
- Calcium: 335mg
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried fines herbes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup evaporated fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 (8-ounce) cartons egg substitute
- 4 cups coarsely chopped broccoli florets (about 1 bunch)
- 2 (7-ounce) bottles roasted red bell peppers, drained
- 12 (1-ounce) slices hearty white bread
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) grated fresh Romano or Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, fines herbes, black pepper, and salt; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in garlic; remove from heat.
- Combine milk, mustard, and egg substitute. Stir in onion mixture. Steam broccoli, covered, 5 minutes. Slice bell pepper into strips.
- Arrange half of the bread slices in a single layer in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon 2 cups broccoli and 1 cup bell pepper evenly over bread slices; sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Repeat procedure with remaining bread, broccoli, and bell pepper. Top with Romano cheese.
- Pour milk mixture over bread mixture. Cover; chill 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Uncover; bake at 325° for 45 minutes or until set. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheddar cheese; bake an additional 5 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note