- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried fines herbes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup evaporated fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 (8-ounce) cartons egg substitute
- 4 cups coarsely chopped broccoli florets (about 1 bunch)
- 2 (7-ounce) bottles roasted red bell peppers, drained
- 12 (1-ounce) slices hearty white bread
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) grated fresh Romano or Parmesan cheese
- calories 245
- caloriesfromfat 22 %
- fat 6 g
- satfat 2.7 g
- monofat 2.2 g
- polyfat 0.6 g
- protein 17.4 g
- carbohydrate 30.5 g
- fiber 3 g
- cholesterol 15 mg
- iron 2.8 mg
- sodium 614 mg
- calcium 335 mg
How to Make It
Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, fines herbes, black pepper, and salt; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in garlic; remove from heat.
Combine milk, mustard, and egg substitute. Stir in onion mixture. Steam broccoli, covered, 5 minutes. Slice bell pepper into strips.
Arrange half of the bread slices in a single layer in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon 2 cups broccoli and 1 cup bell pepper evenly over bread slices; sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Repeat procedure with remaining bread, broccoli, and bell pepper. Top with Romano cheese.
Pour milk mixture over bread mixture. Cover; chill 8 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 325°.
Uncover; bake at 325° for 45 minutes or until set. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheddar cheese; bake an additional 5 minutes.