I tweaked this recipe a little bit. I used 1 lb lean ground beef and 1/2 lb ground sweet Italian sausage. I used fire roasted diced tomatoes with garlic. I did not use the jalapeños but instead used crumbled bacon with jalapeños sprinkled on top of the shredded cheese. (I found this by the croutons and bacon bits.) I only put the bacon on my husband's dish since I don't like jalapeños. I think I will cut back or omit the BBQ sauce. It was too strong of a flavor and overpowered the other tastes. I served it with pasta salad from the grocery store deli. The recipe was easy and fast to make. Will definitely make this again. Hubby loved it too! This is surely not your mother's sloppy joes! I only gave it 4 stars because of the BBQ flavor.
Cheesy BBQ Sloppy Joes
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Lydia Pursell
More From Southern Living
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup bottled barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeño peppers (optional)
- 1 tablespoon liquid from pickled jalapeño peppers (optional)
- 1 (11.25-oz.) package frozen garlic Texas toast
- 1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1. Brown ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 8 to 10 minutes or until beef crumbles and is no longer pink; drain well. Return to skillet. Stir in tomatoes, next 3 ingredients, and, if desired, jalapeño peppers and liquid. Cover and cook 10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, prepare Texas toast according to package directions. Serve beef mixture over Texas toast; sprinkle with cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note