Cheesy Baked Shells and Broccoli
Photo: Anna Williams; Styling: Anna Last
More From Real Simple
Other: 10 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 697
- Calories from fat: 34%
- Protein: 34g
- Carbohydrate: 78g
- Sugars: 9g
- Fiber: 6g
- Fat: 26g
- Saturated fat: 15g
- Sodium: 650mg
- Cholesterol: 82mg
- 3/4 pound medium pasta shells (about 5 cups)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups coarsely grated Cheddar or Gruyère (8 ounces)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 16-ounce bag frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- Heat broiler. Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
Meanwhile, heat the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes.
Add 1 1/2 cups of the cheese and stir until melted. Stir in the nutmeg, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper.
Add the pasta and broccoli and toss to combine. Transfer to a broilerproof 8-inch square or another 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining 1⁄2 cup of cheese. Broil until golden, 3 to 4 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes