- 3/4 pound medium pasta shells (about 5 cups)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups coarsely grated Cheddar or Gruyère (8 ounces)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 16-ounce bag frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- calories 697
- caloriesfromfat 34 %
- protein 34 g
- carbohydrate 78 g
- sugars 9 g
- fiber 6 g
- fat 26 g
- satfat 15 g
- sodium 650 mg
- cholesterol 82 mg
How to Make It
Heat broiler. Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
Meanwhile, heat the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes.
Add 1 1/2 cups of the cheese and stir until melted. Stir in the nutmeg, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper.
Add the pasta and broccoli and toss to combine. Transfer to a broilerproof 8-inch square or another 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining 1⁄2 cup of cheese. Broil until golden, 3 to 4 minutes.