I have made this great, colorfull version of mac and cheese two times for dinner parties and it has been a big hit even with the full fat lovers...No one ever knew it was "light"!
Cheesy Baked Cavatappi with Onions and Peppers
Determining an accurate cup measure of a wavy pasta, such as cavatappi, can be tricky; weighing the pasta is simpler. And it's much easier to weigh the amount of cheese you need and shred it all at once.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 361
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 12.2g
- Saturated fat: 6.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 17.1g
- Carbohydrate: 46.1g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 36mg
- Iron: 2.3mg
- Sodium: 421mg
- Calcium: 360mg
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 1/2 cups chopped red bell pepper (about 2 large peppers)
- 12 ounces uncooked cavatappi (about 4 cups)
- 2 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 ounce all-purpose flour (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter
- 4 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- 4 ounces Gruyère cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Dash of ground nutmeg
- Dash of ground red pepper
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add bell pepper; sauté 3 minutes. Remove mixture from pan; set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain.
- Combine milk and flour in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Melt butter in saucepan over medium-high heat; add milk mixture, stirring with a whisk. Cook 3 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; gradually add cheeses, stirring with a whisk until cheeses melt. Stir in salt, black pepper, nutmeg, and ground red pepper. Add onion mixture and pasta, stirring well to combine. Spoon mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle breadcrumbs evenly over pasta mixture. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until bubbly. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note