Cheesy Asparagus Pie
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh asparagus
- 1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 (8-ounce) package shredded colby-Monterey Jack cheese blend
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Snap off tough ends of asparagus (trimmed to about 5 inches). Cook in boiling water to cover 30 seconds; drain. Plunge asparagus into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain. Reserve 9 spears; set aside. Coarsely chop remaining asparagus; set aside.
- Unfold piecrusts; stack on a lightly floured surface, and roll into a 14-inch circle. Fit piecrust into an 11-inch tart pan, trimming excess dough. Line piecrust with foil, and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Place tart pan on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 425° for 12 minutes; remove weights and foil. Bake 2 more minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and saute 5 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
- Brush bottom and sides of crust with mustard. Sprinkle with half of cheese, chopped asparagus, onion, and remaining cheese. Arrange reserved asparagus spears over cheese.
- Whisk together half-and-half and remaining ingredients. Pour mixture evenly over asparagus.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until set and golden brown. Let stand 15 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note