This kid-friendly recipe is the soup version of a cheeseburger and fries with ground beef, cheese, and diced potatoes all in flavorful, hearty broth. Have a bottle of hot sauce handy for adult party guests to heat up their soup.
More From Southern Living
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 pound processed reduced-fat American cheese, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Easy Breadsticks (optional)
- Cook ground beef in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat about 3 minutes, stirring until meat crumbles. Add onion and next 4 ingredients, and sauté 4 minutes or until beef is no longer pink. Drain well. Return beef mixture to Dutch oven.
- Stir in chicken broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 to 12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Gradually stir in flour, and cook, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes or until flour is lightly browned. Whisk flour mixture into simmering beef mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 6 minutes or until thickened.
- Whisk in cheese and next 3 ingredients just until cheese melts. Serve with Easy Breadsticks, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note