I get rave reviews on this from everyone I have cooked it for - make sure to use slightly stale bread or else you will have a mushy result. Perfect with fresh fruit and syrup!
Cheese-Stuffed French Toast with Strawberry Sauce
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2 slices toast and 1/2 cup sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 517
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Fat: 10.9g
- Saturated fat: 5.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 17.8g
- Carbohydrate: 89.5g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 101mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 653mg
- Calcium: 242mg
- 12 (1-ounce) diagonally cut slices French bread
- 1/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 (8-ounce) tub reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 large eggs
- Cooking spray
- Strawberry Sauce
- Candied Lemon Rind
- Cut a horizontal slit through bottom crust of each slice of bread to form a pocket. Combine powdered sugar and cream cheese; stir well. Spread mixture evenly into pockets of bread. Place 6 bread slices in each of two large, shallow baking dishes; set aside.
- Combine milk, sugar, vanilla extract, egg whites, and eggs in a bowl; beat well with a wire whisk. Pour milk mixture evenly over bread slices. Cover and chill 1 hour or until liquid is absorbed.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and place over medium heat until hot. Arrange half of bread slices in skillet, and cook 3 minutes. Turn bread over, and cook 3 minutes or until browned; remove from skillet. Repeat procedure with the remaining bread slices.
- Serve with Strawberry Sauce, and garnish with Candied Lemon Rind.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Cheese-Stuffed French Toast with Strawberry Sauce Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes Like This